- Watch "What is Symbolism?" video and identify different symbolic meanings of an apple.
- Read "The Contender" on page 463 in the literature book and discuss the possible symbols in the excerpt.
- Read "Abuela Invents the Zero" on page 465-467 in the literature book and identify the following information:
- Identify the theme to the story.
- Identify the clues to theme in the story:
- important statements
- What might the following things in the story symbolize, and how is each symbol related to a theme: the grandmother’s black shawl (line 22), Sunday mass (line 33), the car keys (line 38).
- Read "Gil's Furniture Bought and Sold" by Sandra Cisneros on page 470 of the literature book and complete selection test.